About the Sanctuary
The Peaceable Primate Sanctuary in Winamac, Indiana is actively looking for a motivated, hardworking individual to join our animal care team. The Peaceable Primate Sanctuary is a 79-acre facility dedicated to providing enriching retirement for primates from the pet, entertainment, and research industry. With the first baboons arriving here in 2016, the sanctuary now houses over 58 primates and is rapidly expanding. The animal care staff is responsible for day-to-day husbandry of these primates as well as assisting veterinary staff with medical care, educating the public through private tours, maintaining animal enclosures and sanctuary grounds, preparing diets for the primates, and more.
Primate Keeper (Full-time)
- Monitor health, behavior, and general welfare of the primates and communicate observations to veterinary staff and supervisory team
- Maintain primate enclosures and holding areas through efficient sanitization, general maintenance, and daily safety checks
- Provide stimulating enrichment to the primates at least twice per day and create new additions to the enrichment program
- Utilize operant conditioning to train primates to voluntarily participate in daily husbandry and medical care
- Assist veterinary staff with basic medical procedures, medication administration, and more
- Prepare and distribute nutrient-rich diets to the primates
- Educate the public on the husbandry and retirement of primates through private tours and fundraising events
- Assist in the training and leadership of sanctuary interns and volunteers.
- Maintain sanctuary grounds through basic landscaping, gardening, and maintenance.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in related field is preferred.
- Experience with animals, including primates, is preferred but willing to train the right candidate.
- Must be able to work in small team environment
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays as needed
- Proof of negative TB test required (can be completed after hiring)
- Must be over 18 years of age to apply
Please send resume to email@example.com to apply